lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: IndexUpdateListener
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 02:27:43 GMT

On May 14, 2006, at 10:32 AM, karl wettin wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 07:05 -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> Lucene itself doesn't provide this, but Solr does.
>
> I'm not using Solr :) But what you suggest is that I should try to fit
> in in my own layer around Lucene rather than in Lucene?
>
> May I ask why?

It's not quite a "suggestion", but rather just stating the facts of
what exists _now_.  I'm skeptical of Lucene acquiring too many
listener kinda hooks more deeply, or whether that layer should be
added in a Solr kinda way.  Interesting architectural topic, methinks.

> Not sure if I would do it that way. To me it feels as the index is the
> only thing that knows for sure if it has been updated.

What are the boundaries of what you call an "index"?  Is it the
current Lucene API, or could it be a service-like layer such as Solr
on top of it?

> Sending all my
> requests via some method to catch such activities feels.. I don't
> know..
> as the wrong layer I guess.

I wonder.

	Erik