lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marcus Falck" <marcus.fa...@observer.se>
Subject Date first best practises
Date Sun, 21 May 2006 15:31:51 GMT
Hi,

I will use Lucene to index 200 million documents (doc size 2kb -> 20 kb).
With the following requirements:
IndexSearcher needs to be created atleast every 5 minute.
The ranking/scoring/sorting will need to reply the hits ordered by date desc.

Will the sorting be good enough on a machine with 4GB of RAM? Since the cache will be destroyed
every time I open a new IndexSercher i need to know how long it will take to rebuild it (the
index is stored on a SAN).

Or do I have to change the scoring so I wont need to access the date field?

If i will have to change the scoring does anybody have any tips on where to begin?

/
Regards
Marcus