lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marcus Falck" <>
Subject SV: Changing the scoring (newest doc date first)
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 08:56:27 GMT
Yes the default behavior (sort on relevance) is a form of sort. But that sort don't need to
access the field values which makes it alot faster.
Sorting on fields works good up to index sizes of a couple of gigabytes ( on a test machine
dual opteron 2 GB ram)

Från: Yonik Seeley []
Skickat: on 2006-05-17 20:04
Ämne: Re: Changing the scoring (newest doc date first)

On 5/16/06, Marcus Falck <> wrote:
> I'm working on a very large implementation of a search engine based on the lucene api
(1.4.3). We have also been investigating enterprise search companies such as FAST and Verity
but have come to the conclusion that we might aswell save ourselves 1 millon dollars by doing
our own implementation on lucene.

That's the same conclusion we came to... and how Solr came about.
If it is close enough to meeting your needs, it might make sense to collaborate.

> So i figured since the default sort is by relevance i would like to change the relevance
so that we don't even need to sort the documents.

Documents sorted by relevance are still sorted.
How much slower is a sort on another field vs a sort on relevance (not
counting the first time)

-Yonik Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message