lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chun Wei Ho" <cwho.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Updating documents in index with some fields not stored
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 03:01:41 GMT
I would like to make some updates to values within my large index. I
understand that I have to delete and re-insert each document to be
changed to do that. However I do have some large fields that are
unstored (only indexed and no, these are not the fields that I am
wanting to change), which means I can't re-insert the documents
easily. I would like to find out:

(1) Is it possible just to create a new field index on an existing
index file. My change is that I have a field that is stored but not
indexed, and now I would like to index that field. If it can be done
it would be much more convenient than deleting and re-inserting every
document.

(2) I understand Luke is able to reconstruct the field so that the
document can be re-inserted. Can someone give me a hint on how its
done and if its potentially too time consuming for a large index (up
to million docs and too many terms to count).

Thanks a lot. Any help would be much appreciated.