lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Paulo Silveira" <>
Subject should I create a redundant field instead of using BooleanQueries?
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 18:51:13 GMT

An example: my document has 3 fields: field1, field2 and field3. I
have to make queries for each field, and sometimes using all the
fields. Should I use a BooleanQuery when searching for a string in the
3 fields, or should I create a redundant field4 (where field4 is the
concat of field1+field3+field3).

Which one is faster?

Also, creating a field4 could improve the search results, since it
would calculate the score based on the 3 fields together, not merging
the search results for each field (as BooleanQuery does). Am I right?

thanks a lot

Paulo E. A. Silveira
Caelum Ensino e Soluções em Java

To unsubscribe, e-mail: