lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rahil <qam...@cs.man.ac.uk>
Subject Re: IOException Access Denied errors [ modified]
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 15:22:25 GMT
Hi Dan

Dan Armbrust wrote:

> The MySQL drivers are horrible at dealing with large result sets -
> that article gives you the workaround to tell it to bring the results
> back as they are needed (like it should in the first place) but I have
> found that it isn't reliable - it tends to drop out at random points
> during the query - so you will get a different number of rows each
> time you rerun the query.  In MySQL - the only reliable way I have
> found to get all of the results from a large table is to use their
> "limit" keyword in the query, and only ask it for X (I usually use
> 10,000, but use whatever works best with your system) number of rows
> as a time, and then keep rerunning the query, incrementing up the
> start position of the "limit" keyword.  This issue also varies a lot
> from version to version of the driver - some versions have been
> completely broken, and others are only slightly broken.  To bad we
> can't get lucene quality code everywhere :)

The incremental query seems to work better. Thanks.

> >> Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Access is denied
>
> To me, that really seems like you have an issue with the location that
> you are writing the index to.  I would make sure you have full write
> permissions to the location, and make sure there aren't some old /
> invalid files sitting in there.

Oh Im really quite tired of trying to resolve this "Access denied"
issue. Ive deleted and recreated the index directory umpteen times!
Finally I created a brand new directory in a brand new location and ran
my index program. Lucene seemed to index the results from the first
30000 queries (increments of 10000) successfully but then finally threw
this age-old error yet again !! ..  Can you or anyone else make any
sense of this? I surely cant !

Also the indexing seems to be noticeably slow. For indexing every 10000
result sets by allocating 1.4gb of memory at run time, it takes
approximately 20 seconds. With a database of a million records the total
time in indexing will take ~ 35 mins. Is that normal?

Thanks
Rahil