lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: updating the data in Lucene
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 23:25:50 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On May 23, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Alberto Marqu├┐ffffe9s wrote:
>> I have a question about like updating the data in Lucene. Supposing
>> that I have indexed a directory if I want to refresh index (to return
>> to index single files that has been modified). In order to maintain
>> the data updated. There is faster form to do the one that using:
>> IndexWriter(indexDir, new Analizer(), true); indexaria all the files
>> again.
>>

> absolutely.  you'll need to create the logic to do incremental indexing,
> but lucene supports deleting and adding documents.  an "update" consists
> of locating the document to be updated in the index, deleting it, and
> re-adding the document.

Although, one should note that this is semantically different from
"updating" a document.  Deleting the document and re-adding it results
in the text index IDs changing, whereas a true, in-place update would not.

The ability to do a true, in-place update is like the holy grail of
Lucene. :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll