lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Updating documents in index with some fields not stored
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 09:59:46 GMT
Chun Wei Ho wrote:
> (2) I understand Luke is able to reconstruct the field so that the
> document can be re-inserted. Can someone give me a hint on how its
> done and if its potentially too time consuming for a large index (up
> to million docs and too many terms to count).

Luke simply iterates over all terms, and collects terms and their
positions in a selected document, and then builds an array of terms,
inserting them at correct positions. If there are gaps in positions, it
inserts nulls.

For a large index with many terms this could take long (an hour?) -
whether it's a viable option to you depends on the value you put on that
document's data, and how often you need to do this ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><