lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Chan" <>
Subject BufferedIndexInput.readByte performance
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 14:14:29 GMT

I have a 5gb index containing 2mil documents and am trying to run
1mil+ queries against it. Most of the queries are SpanQueries and it
occurs to me that the search performance is quite slow when using 2, 3
SpanOrQueries nested inside a SpanNearQuery, which in turn is nested
inside another SpanNearQuery. The response time is around 3-5 seconds
even when the index is stored as a RAMDirectory, and
BufferedIndexInput.readByte() appears to be the bottleneck. Is this
performance typical? As I don't need any sorting of the results and
only need the number of results returned, is there anything, besides
Field.setOmitNorm(true), I can modify to improve performance?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message