lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mike Baranczak <MBaranc...@ePublishing.com>
Subject grouping search results
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 17:46:25 GMT
The documents in my index will contain a "category" field. (We can
assume that the number of possible categories will be small - 10 or
so max - and that they'll be known in advance.) I need to be able to
present the search results to the end user like this:

- top 10 results in category "x":
	1. sdfsdfsd
	2. dfgdgfdfg
	3. [...]
- top 10 results in category "y":
	1. gffgdgf
	2. kjhjkkghj
[...]

The first thing I thought of was to construct a boolean AND query for
every possible category (from the user's query and a term query for
the category); but this seems like it might be causing a lot of
redundant work. My next idea was to create a QueryFilter from the
user's query, and run a search for each category with this filter and
a term query. Since the QueryFilter is supposed to cache results,
this should theoretically be more efficient. So my questions to the
Lucene gurus are:

1) Will the QueryFilter method really be more efficient?

2) Is there yet another way to accomplish what I need?

-MB