lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: merge factor and real time indexing
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 03:58:19 GMT
Erick,
Otis: What are the rules for reading an index that's being modified? Here's
the sequence that I'm unclear about.

open reader0
open writer
add document 1
***at this point, am I right that document1 is not visible to reader0?

OG: correct.

close reader0
open reader1
***Now, is document 1 visible to reader1? Even though the writer is still
open?

OG: I believe reader1 will see document1 if it has been flushed to disk (i.e. is not in that
in-memory buffer whose size is controlled via maxBufferedDocs).

Where I'm going with this is wondering whether John needs to close/open the
writer except very rarely but still be able to pick up modifications from a
newly opened reader.

OG: I think so.  As long as he doesn't need to delete any documents, of course.

Which, of course, leads to the question where his performance needs to be.
It may be real-time, but how close is "close enough" to real-time?

FWIW
Erick

Thanks
Erick