lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: should I avoid create many Fields for a Document?
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 14:28:41 GMT
Uh, another it depends answer.
Some people prefer one aggregate field, others do not.
If you care about field normalization (shorter fields with matches in them shoring higher
than longer fields with equal number of matches in them), I'd say keep them separate.
If you want to boost individual fields differently at search time, keep them separate.

Over at http://www.simpy.com/ I tend to keep fields separate.  Some of the fields that indices
at Simpy have are: title, tags, url, etc.  When a user performs a search I can use MultiFieldQueryParser
and soon I'll be able to boost these fields differently (e.g. crowd-supplied tags may get
a boost over web page author-supplied titles).

Also, I probably don't care about the URL length, so I don't need normalization there.  That
saves some RAM and doesn't hurt scoring.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Paulo Silveira <paulo.silveira@caelum.com.br>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 2:08:24 AM
Subject: should I avoid create many Fields for a Document?

Hello

What is the best way to search? Should I separate all the fields, or
create a big one that have all fields? Does this impact the
performance dramatically?

Creating a big field I would not need to create a BooleanQuery...

last time I did not get any clues, lets see if this time will be better...

thanks!

--
Paulo E. A. Silveira
Caelum Ensino e Soluções em Java