lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Backing up indexes, reliability and robustness
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 14:49:47 GMT
In the best case you'd just need to remove the lock file.
Never happened to me (knock on wood), but others have reported corrupt indices.  Some, I believe,
had to manually edit their segments file to get things in order, and possibly reindex data
in lost segments.

As for backing up, you could try making a backup using IndexWriter's addIndexes method, and
I imagine hard-links would work, too.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Marc Dauncey <marc_dauncey@yahoo.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 7:59:14 AM
Subject: Backing up indexes, reliability and robustness

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get peoples views on an indexing issue.  I gather a lot of people have apps
where indexing writes to the same index as is used by the searcher.  The thing that bothers
me about this is if indexing is interrupted (file system crash, out of disk space etc) the
index becomes unusable.  This seems too risky in terms of keeping searching available 24/7.

My first question is, if an index does become corrupt because of an interrupted operation,
is the situation recoverable?  Is it simply a matter of managing the index locks?

My second question is do people back up their indexes before working on them?  If you do,
then how do you manage this for large indexes?  What kind of strategies have you put in place
to make your systems robust and available?

Many thanks for your advice

Marc