lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marc Dauncey <marc_daun...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Can lucene do this?
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 09:54:34 GMT
This is true, but you'd need to optimise if you want additions to show up - also means getting
a new IndexSearcher each time which is not workable for some Lucene applications (esp if you've
pre-built filters and caches).  I think the suggestion to use the new memory class is a good
one.

----- Original Message ----
From: Amir Hosein Jadidi Nejad <master_ai_ir@yahoo.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, 12 May, 2006 10:30:23 AM
Subject: Re: Can lucene do this?

Hi,
  You can add per document to index without indexing all document from scratch !
  You have real time transactions in this way.
  Regard,

Scott Smith <ssmith@mainstreamdata.com> wrote:
  I'm building an application which has to provide "real-time" searching
of emails as they come in. I have a number of search strings that I
need to apply against each email as it comes in and then do something
with the email based on which search string(s) get a hit.

My initial thought was to create a lucene index of the emails received
in the last N seconds (where N is around 5 since I don't have to be
quite real-time) in a memory directory, do my searches and then delete
the index and create a new index for emails received in the next 5
seconds. I'm a little concerned because the number of search strings
will probably grow over time and so there is a bit of a scalability
issue-though I'm not sure there's anyway around that other than doing
parallel processing on different machines.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience doing this kind of thing and
has additional or alternate suggestions??

Scott

Amir Hosein Jadidi Nejad
Student Of Computer Science
Bu-Ali Sina University, Hamedan-Iran