lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Scoring without floating point calculations
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 07:20:16 GMT
On Tuesday 09 May 2006 01:39, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Ah, this is pretty disheartening.  Regardless, I'm about to dive into this, so if you
have any tips or experiences to share, I'm all eyeballs.

> Otis

In case you don't need score values at all, have a look at the score(HitCollector) method
of Scorer. This method is easily
simplified to not call the Scorer.score() method at all.

> >Doing a quick `grep -R ' float ' *` in the source tree shows a
> >number of places where floats are used: various *Score and *Scorer
> >classes, various Query classes, Similarity, etc.

By default, a lot of the score computation during query search is done by
table look up in TermScorer.

> >What would be the easiest way to plug in my own non-float scoring?

Is there a profile available showing a floating point bottleneck during
a query search?

Regards,
Paul Elschot