lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kiran Joisher" <kiran.jois...@recreatesolutions.com>
Subject RE: Updating index if there is a database changes
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 06:30:34 GMT
Thanks Stephen,

This was really helpful.

Cheers,
--Kiran

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Gray [mailto:Stephen.Gray@anu.edu.au]
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 4:11 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Updating index if there is a database changes

Hi Kirin,

Once you've updated an index using IndexWriter or IndexReader you just need
to close and re-open your IndexSearcher so that searching includes the
changes. There is a great library callled LuceIndexAccessor at the link
below that manages this for you. It creates an IndexReader/Writer/Searcher
and hands out references to classes that need to use them. When you want to
read/write you just get a reference to the appropriate object from the
index accessor, then release it when you've finished. If you make changes
using an IndexWriter then release the reference, it waits until all
IndexSearcher refs have been released, then recreates the searcher
automatically.

The link is:
http://www.nabble.com/Fwd%3A-Contribution%3A-LuceneIndexAccessor-t17416.html
#a47049

You might also like to look at DelayCloseIndexSearcher at

Regards,
Steve

At 05:31 PM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I m working on a project where I will use lucene to make a search engine on
>a database. I am new to lucene. I wrote a test program which indexes a
table
>and searches the same.. but now I m stuck on how to update the index in
case
>a database change occurs.. I need some help on this topic...like how do I
>update the index at run time... can it be done then and there...or do I
have
>to write some kind of schedular program which "re-builds" the entire index
>say once in a day ... which will be more efficient ?
>
>the data will be huge... 4 million records something..
>
>Thanks in advance,
>--Kiran

Stephen Gray
Archive Research Officer