lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From G√ľnther Starnberger <...@sysfrog.org>
Subject Re: max_score(multi_valued_field) function?
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 21:14:11 GMT
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:57:46PM -0700, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> As far as I can figure, your best bet really is to use a seperate
> field for each title -- but instead of combining the queries into a
> BooleanQuery, use a DisjunctionMaxQuery with a tiebreaker value of
> 0.0f ... the whole purpose of that query is to score documents based
> on the maximum score of a sub query, but you still have to make the
> sub queries your self, and there's no easy way to make a query that
> only searches the first "chunk" of terms from a field.

I don't understand what you mean with "first 'chunk' of terms from a
field". I actually tried to implement this method, but unfortunately I
face yet another problem.

Document 1:
Title-1: Rijksmuseum
Title-2: Rijksmuseum Amsterdam

Document 2:
Title-1: Amsterdam
Title-2: NLAMS

Document 1 gets the higher score in this case (when I do a search on
'Amsterdam'). The reason is that the term 'Amsterdam' has a higher
docFreq in Title-1 than in Title-2 (as Title-2 is only seldom used).

I think if I combine your .setOmitNorms(true) suggestion with this
second suggestion it may actually work - that will be my next attempt.

bye,
/gst