lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <>
Subject Re: Lucene search benchmark/stress test tool
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 19:34:59 GMT
I wrote my Lucene search benchmarker, but will have to check with my employer about contributing
it to Lucene.  It's rather simple - I used Java 1.5 concurrency package's ThreadedPoolExecutor
for executing N parallel search requests, measured elaphsed time for each request, and then
when all searches were done, I calculated min/max/median/percentile/etc.

----- Original Message ----
From: Marvin Humphrey <>
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 8:28:20 PM
Subject: Re: Lucene search benchmark/stress test tool

On Apr 26, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> I'm about to write a little command-line Lucene search benchmark
> tool.  I'm interested in benchmarking search performance and the
> ability to specify concurrency level (# of parallel search threads)
> and response timing, so I can calculate min, max, average, and mean
> times.  Something like 'ab' (Apache Benchmark) tool, but for Lucene.
> Has anyone already written something like this?

I'm about to.  The predecessor to the indexing benchmarker tests I
recently published results for was enormously helpful while
streamlining the indexing process.  Now that I'm considering
modifications to search logic and file format which may have a
substantial impact on search-time performance, I'll need a search
benchmarker to complement the indexing benchmarker.  I'll be writing
a both a Perl/KinoSearch and a Java Lucene version, and they will use
the Reuters corpus.

Where are you at with your app?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research