lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sami Dalouche <>
Subject Re: Lucene search optimization
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 07:44:54 GMT

1) Actually, I am not using Lucene directly, but a wrapper called
compass. I am using the find() method of the CompassSession, which code
is :
public CompassHits find(String query) throws CompassException {
        return createQueryBuilder().queryString(query).toQuery().hits();
And all of these objects are pure wrappers around lucene equivalents,
nothing more.

2) What I am timing is only the find call :
-- start timer
CompassHits hits = compassSession.find("cityName:"+ name+"~");
-- stop timer

3) I am not sorting anything, but lucene is returning the hits by
relevance. Does this count as sorting ?

4) I tried to time the thing for ~10 queries, and the results are
roughly the same. Can go down to 2 seconds, which is still way too

Thanks for helping
sami Dalouche