lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From karl wettin <ka...@snigel.net>
Subject Re: Index evolution
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 23:07:28 GMT
On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 17:50 -0300, Leandro Saad wrote:
> Hi all. I'm very new to lucene. All I have done is read some docs about how
> it works, which brings to the question:
>
> How easy is to add new fields to the documents in the index?
> Suppose that today I can search for book title and decide that including the
> author in the search would be a good idea. How easy is to do that with
> lucene?

If you know what analyzers you used, all values are stored (in the index
or somewhere else) and have some way to identify a document, then it is
easy to build a new document, delete the old and add the new.

It is possible to to merge new fields to existing documents in an index,
but it is not very easy. Nor is it fast. Luke contains code that tampers
with your index.