lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: IndexUpdateListener
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 02:32:17 GMT

On May 14, 2006, at 1:48 PM, karl wettin wrote:
>> An app using Lucene still needs to coordinate all the activity
>> surrounding IndexReaders and IndexWriters, including explicit
>> closure,
>> so the app will know anyway when the index has changed, right?
>
> A car could go 600 miles in reverse, but I'd prefere not. :)

Right, so what Yonik is saying is Solr implements most (if not all)
of your needs in this regard right now.  It is a working
implementation of your stated end goals, but it is at a different
layer than you'd like....

>> (unless you are talking about adding the callbacks to IndexModifier)
>
> As deep as possible.
>
> All the user would need to know is Directory.getListerners()

At this point we have to stop speculating and someone implement this
in their local version of Lucene with performance profiling before
and after listeners are added and ensure that we don't slow Lucene
down with such things and then contribute the code along with use and
test cases.

	Erik