lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Keegan" <peterlkee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Throughput doesn't increase when using more concurrent threads
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:51:34 GMT
> Out of interest, does indexing time speed up much on 64-bit hardware?

I was able to speed up indexing on 64-bit platform by taking advantage of
the larger address space to parallelize the indexing process. One thread
creates index segments with a set of RAMDirectories and another thread
merges the segments to disk with 'addIndexes'. This resulted in a speed
improvement of 27%.

Peter