lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ananth T. Sarathy" <ananth.t.sara...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene Seaches VS. Relational database Queries
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:19:25 GMT
H,
 We have made documents out of the rows in our database and one of the team
is suggesting that we abandon some of our database queries and instead use
lucene. I think there are some fundamental problems with this especially
when it comes to association tables (where there is a 1 one to many
relation, we basically take all the values in the associated table and store
them in one field).  One of the problems I see would be with values that
over lap (Example, name where one name is Jason Bateman, and one is Jason
Bateman Black, and it would be hard to replicate the Discrete Search for
Jason Bateman. Also I think there would be some issues with insuring that
all updates, adds and deletes were properly synced with the index, as well
as the possibility of duplicate rows in the index. Can people out there help
with any other pros and cons to this approach?

--
Ananth T Sarathy