lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Document order not being maintained?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:03:37 GMT

: exactly the same as how I insert them.  Lucene is supposed to maintain
: document order, even across index merges, correct?

Lucene definitely maintains index order for document additions -- but i
don't know if any similar claim has been made about merging whole indexes.

: this until I'm done with all of the documents.  Then, as a last step, I
: open up a new empty index, and I call addIndexes(Directory[]) - and I
: pass in the directories in the same order that I created them.
: The problem that I am seeing right now, is that when I look into my
: large combined index with Luke, Document number 899 is the 899th
: document that I added.  However, Document 900 is the 49860th document
: that I added.  This continues until Document 910, where it suddenly
: jumps to the 99720th document.

As I said, i'm not sure if it's a bug or undefined behavior, but
can you post a self contained JUnit test demonstrating this? -- that way
people can look at exactly what is going on (if it is a bug).

-Hoss