lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "miki sun" <sun_m...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: doc.get("contents")
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:46:41 GMT
Thanks Chris

I just realize the "contents" in the index is not the "contents" in the
original document.

Miki

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: doc.get("contents")
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:58:25 -0700 (PDT)

Fields, by default, are not stored.  if you look at the FileDocument.java
file in the demo, you should see that the contents field is created this
way...

     // Add the contents of the file to a field named "contents".  Specify a
Reader,
     // so that the text of the file is tokenized and indexed, but not
stored.
     // Note that FileReader expects the file to be in the system's default
encoding.
     // If that's not the case searching for special characters will fail.
     doc.add(new Field("contents", new FileReader(f)));

..since it is not stored, the call to doc.get("contents") returns null ...
you're not checking for it to be null, before passing it to StringReader,
so you get the null pointer exception then.

You could change the code to made contents a stored field, but that would
make you index much bigger.  you could also open the orriginal file on
disk, and pass it to the analyzer for highlighting instead.