lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Max Pfingsthorn" <m.pfingsth...@hippo.nl>
Subject Optimize completely in memory with a FSDirectory?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:02:38 GMT
Hi all,

I have a question about memory/fileio settings and the FSDirectory.
The setMaxBufferedDocs and related parameters help a lot already to fully exploit my RAM when
indexing, but since I'm running a fairly small index of around 40000 docs and I'm optimizing
it relatively often, I was wondering if there is any way to enforce complete in-memory optimization.
The stupid thing is that even with a maxBufferedDocs of 50000, it still writes lots of tiny
files to disk (together almost 2-3 times the size of the index), and the disk io skyrockets
for a few seconds. I have enough memory to hold the index many times over, so it really shouldn't
be a problem there, and it would be so much faster (I have to think).

Any hints?

Best regards,

Max Pfingsthorn

Hippo