lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tom Hill <lucene-l...@zvents.com>
Subject Getting count of documents matching a query?
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:53:44 GMT
Hi -

Is there a fast way (not easy, but speedy) of getting the count of
documents that match a query?

I need the count, and don't need the docs at this point. If I had a
simple query, (e.g. "book") I can use docFreq(), and it's lightning
fast. If I just run it as a query it's much slower. I'm just
wondering if I did a custom scorer / similarity / hitcollector, how
much faster than a query could I get it? Or is there a better way?

And I'm not entirely sure how to implement the above idea, pointers
or samples or hints would be wonderful.

Thanks,