lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Indexing with SnowballAnalyzer and multiple languages in a single index
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:56:29 GMT
jwang@dicarta.com wrote:
> You can have multiple languages in the same index.  Just make sure that
> your language identification process is consistent.
>
> You might still get some false positives, for example, if there's a
> German root that has the same letters as a French root, but means
> something different, then it might still show up.  Personally, I don't
> really know how many times that actually happens.
>
> Lucene treats all _post-analyze_ tokens the same, it is pretty much
> language ignorant, so as long as the UTF characters are the same, it
> treats the tokens as the same.

I suppose one could work around that by prepending the language code to
every token.  Then those two words won't match each other, while
stemming is preserved.

The real problem as I see it is when two languages have an *identical*
word, and the user types that in as their search query.  Then you have
to wonder which language it's from... perhaps you would just expand this
to match multiple languages in the event of multiple matches.  Or
perhaps you would just add a little drop-down to the place they enter
their query, where they can indicate what language the query is in.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd