lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Prasenjit Mukherjee <prasenj...@aol.com>
Subject Search algo for the postings ( or TermFreqs)
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:25:35 GMT
Given a  term "myterm", what kind of search algorithm lucene uses to
get to the postings list(i.e. the term-frequency location in .frq file)
?  From what I understood by looking into the lucene fileformat, is that
it keeps the whole of .tii file in memory and and does a skipped linear
search of the TermInfoIndex(present in .tii file) for the term "myterm".

I have gone through Doug's article titled "Space Optimizations for Total
Ranking", but that seems to talk mainly about efficiently calculating
the score by parallely merging the different posting streams. I didnt
find any reference in that article on how to get to the postings, or may
be I overlooked something there ?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
prasen