lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mufaddal Khumri <mkhu...@allegromedical.com>
Subject Tuning Indexing performance question ..
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:14:02 GMT
Hi,

I am using a multi threaded app to index a bunch of Data. The app spawns
X number of threads. Each thread writes to a RAMDirectory. When thread
finishes it work, the contents from the RAMDirectory are written into
the FSDirectory. All threads are passed an instance of the FSWriter when
they are created.

Now, reading the Lucened docs, I understand the indexing performance can
be further tweaked by playing with mergeFactor, maxMergeDocs and
minMergeDocs. Am I understanding this right that these three parameters
effect the writing of the index to the FSDirectory and not to the
RAMDirectory (Since a RAMDirectory exists entirely in memory)? In other
words, does tweaking the three parameters - mergeFactor, maxMergeDocs
and minMergeDocs effect the performance of writing to the RAMDirectory?

-Thanks