lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distributed Lucene.. - clustering as a requirement
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:57:46 GMT
Dmitry Goldenberg wrote:
> For an enterprise-level application, Lucene appears too file-system and
too byte-sequence-centric a technology.  Just my opinion.  The Directory
API is just too low-level.

There are good reasons why Lucene is not built on top of a RDBMS.  An
inverted index is not efficiently maintained in a B-Tree, and B-Trees
are the foundation of RDBMSes.

http://www.haifa.ibm.com/Workshops/ir2005/papers/DougCutting-Haifa05.pdf

> I'd be OK with an RDBMS-based Directory implementation I could take and use.  But generally,
I think the Lucene authors might like to take a step back and consider splitting off the repository
and making it more extensible and high-level.  Perhaps something like JSR-170 (Java repository
API) may be a good route to go....

If you have concrete ideas for an improvements to Lucene's Directory
interface, please propose them to the java-dev mailing list, ideally as
a patch.

Cheers,

Doug