lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Supriya Kumar Shyamal <supriya.shya...@artnology.com>
Subject Fetch Documents Without Retrieveing All Fields
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:03:40 GMT
Hi All,

I found a interesting point mentioned in
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~shashank/htmlfiles/hacks/lucene.html by Shashank.

Of course there is no doubt that search in Lucene index is faster but
sometimes the retrieving the hitDocs is slower(for Ex. when we try to
retrieve more than 10000 documents  from hits). May be my scenario is a
special case but I find the option mentioned in the article can be
optional functionality in future release of lucene.

Small example based on the my integration of lucene in the project ..

I have integrated lucene search engine for one of our project in the
company, there I have a book index with each document has more than 15
fields to do speific search, but out of that after I do the search I
just want to retrieve the value of one field named "DBID" which is the
database table column id and for rendering in the frontend I retrieve
the data from database. In this case I really don't require all the
field values form the document. Also sometimes I get a OutOfMemorry
Error when I try to retriev more than 10000 documents at once.

The advantage I found after I try to implement the above idea, the
performance improved a lot and also I don't get any OutOfMemory error.

Just a small idea which is not entirely mine but I feel its a good option.

With Regards,
supriya

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Supriya Kumar Shyamal

Software Developer
tel +49 (30) 443 50 99 -22
fax +49 (30) 443 50 99 -99
email supriya.shyamal@artnology.com
___________________________
artnology GmbH
Milastr. 4
10437 Berlin
___________________________

http://www.artnology.com

 News / Aktuelle Projekte:
 * artnology gewinnt Ausschreibung des Bundesministeriums des Innern:
   Softwarelösung für die Verwaltung der Sammlung zeitgenössischer
   Kunstwerke zur kulturellen Repräsentation des Bundes.

 Projektreferenzen:
 * Globaler eShop und Corporate-Site für Springer: www.springeronline.com
 * E-Detailing-Portal für Novartis: www.interaktiv.novartis.de
 * Service-Center-Plattform für Biogen: www.ms-life.de