lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Document order not being maintained?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:59:03 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> I assume that your merge factor when calling addIndexes() is less than
> 90.  If it's 90, then what you're doing is the same as Lucene would
> automatically do.  I think you could save yourself a lot of trouble if
> you simply lowered your merge factor substantially and then indexed
> everything in one pass.  To make things go faster, set
> maxBufferedDocs=100 or larger.  This should be as fast as what you're
> doing now and a lot simpler.
>
> Or is that the part where I was supposed to "bear with" you?
>
> Doug

Yep.  This code was written when I had to index tons of stuff on linux,
and was constantly running into file handle issues (even with low merge
factors).  I ended up writing a wrapper for lucene that handled it all
for me, and I've just been reusing it.  Then today, I ran into this
issue.  It may be time to rework some of the wrapper to take advantage
of the lucene updates :)

Dan