lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Document order not being maintained?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 20:48:21 GMT
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll continue to try to generate a test case that gets the docs out of
>> order... but if someone in the know could answer authoritatively whether
>
> I browsed the code for IndexWriter.addIndexes(Dir[]), and it looks
> like it should preserve order.
> The directories are added in order, and the segments for each
> directory are added in order.  The merging code is shared, so that
> shouldn't do anything different than normal segment merges.
>
> -Yonik
> http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, The Open Source Lucene Search Server

Thanks for checking Yonik.  I'm fairly certain that this is a lucene bug
then - I will try to come up with a reproduceable test case.

My load code is pretty simple... whenever I create a new document, I put
in a field that contains a counter of the load order.

When I look at the individual indexes, things are fine - but after it
merges them, I get a significant percentage of documents which have been
reordered.

One other thing I can look into - I've been building these indexes on a
64 bit linux machine, using a 64 bit JVM.  I need to see if the same
error happens on 32 bit windows....

Dan