lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: highlighting - fuzzy search
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:12:35 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Fisheye wrote:
>> Probably, do you know if there is a possibility to get the similar words
>> generated by the algorithm when doing fuzzy search?
>
> Well, a roundabout way is to simply create a FuzzyQuery, rewrite it,
> cast it to a BooleanQuery and use the BooleanQuery API to extract the
> TermQuery objects and the Term within the TermQuery has what you're
> looking for.  That's actually not a bad way to go, but you could also go
> more low-level and borrow the technique used under FuzzyQuery itself:
>
>     <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/FuzzyTermEnum.java>

We take an approach somewhere down the middle...

     IndexReader reader = ...;
     FuzzyQuery q = ...

     FilteredTermEnum enum = q.getEnum(reader);

The advantage of this method is that it's easier to generalise (works
for any subclass of MultiTermQuery, not just FuzzyQuery), while not
needing any rewriting (which may eat more memory, although I can't say
for sure.)

In fact our own code takes any query and looks at the type of it to
extract terms from it, potentially recursively if it encounters a
BooleanQuery.  It would be Really Nice [TM] if Lucene had a method on
the Query class to do this directly. :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd