lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Help
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:11:04 GMT
I really, really recommend buying a copy of "Lucene In Action", especially
if you don't already have a good grasp of what indexing and searching is all
about. It's well worth the effort to read. Sure, you'll have a ton of
questions after you're done with it (I certainly had/do), but at least
you'll have a better context...

In your case, it would be worth the cost of the book, oh, about 1,000 times
over just for Chapter 7, titled "parsing common document formats"  which
shows how to index XML, PDF, HTML, Word, RTF and plain text documents.

The folks on this list have been extraordinarily generous with their time
and advice, but I have to think it's more fun for them when they can answer
as specific a question as possible, and you'll have much more specific
questions after reading the manual.

Best
Erick Erickson