lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I just don't get wildcards at all.
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:27:58 GMT
Chris:

Thanks for that exposition, that helps me greatly.  I didn't mention that I
tried increasing the MaxAllowedClause count and ran out of memory. And that
I don't trust those kinds of tweaks anyway. They'll blow up sometime,
somewhere and I'll get a phone call because our product is offline and
customers are screaming. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again
<G>.

I'm reluctant to do the wildcard rotation thing, b/c I assume it'll increase
my index size, but that's just an uninformed assumption. I'll look in the
places you indicated and re-think that. My index is already 3G, most all of
it in the field I have to search via wildcards....

And I wasn't really proposing my own chunked boolean query. In fact I hadn't
thought much about what I was *really* going to do, had to go buy frogs.
Mostly, I was seeing if I understood what a WildcardTermEnum did. But given
that it seems to have prompted you to write some of my code for me, or at
least point me at a place where I can steal some, I'm glad I wrote a
half-baked response.

But right now I have to go deal with the pond and the fish. Which is
entirely unrelated to the frogs......

Thanks again for taking the time to explain this to me (and others out
there). It's a great help.

Erick

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message