lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I just don't get wildcards at all.
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2006 13:37:02 GMT
Erik:

Thanks, that helps a lot. I won't waste any more time chasing CSRQ, which is
definitely a plus.

I have to admit that I was hoping for a "RTFM, page ### (Read The FIELD
Manual<G>))" response. Although since I completely missed WildCardTermEnum
maybe I *did* get the response I hoped for. I have go buy frogs (it's a long
story), so I won't be able to look at this til later.....

If I understand this right, I could build my own BooleanQuery in chunks of,
say, 1,000 terms each by just adding words given me by the WildCardTermEnum,
right?

Or I could iterate through the list, recording the "most similar" terms and
only search on those, etc, etc, etc....

And I assume that TermDocs will get me lists of documents associated with
any of the terms I come up with, which will also help...

I'll run some test later today to see what kind of performance I get.

You mean I actually have to *think* about this? Awwwwwwww.

Thanks agein
Erick

P.S. A big thanks for thie resopnse, since I have a self-imposed deadline of
Monday for solving this. We're trying to decide whether to use Lucene or a
horrible old "C" interface to a commercial search engine. The frightening
thing is that I have the skills to go ahead and use the old "C" interface,
but really, really, really would like to use something a little (well, a
lot) more friendly.