lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Dodson <mgdod...@mac.com>
Subject nested phrase queries
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:47:40 GMT
Can phrase queries be nested the same way boolean queries can be nested?

I want a user query to be translated into a boolean query (say, x AND
(y OR z)), and I want  those terms to be within a certain distance of
each other (approximately within the same sentence, so the slop would
be about 7).   I then want to find documents where that phrase is
within a certain distance of another term (in this case an image
name).  So in pseudo code I would have something like

PhraseQuery query1
Set slop to 7

PhraseQuery query2
Set slop to 50

Add boolean terms to query1
Add query1 and imageName to query2

I think I could break down my initial boolean query and turn query1
into two phrase queries which are OR'ed together (so have query1a
with "x AND y" with slop 7, and query1b with "x AND z" and slop 7,
both added to a BooleanQuery) but I still need to combine that query
with the image name in query2.

Thanks for the help.

Mike D