lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Maxym Mykhalchuk" <ma...@dit.unitn.it>
Subject Small field indexing and ranking
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:46:16 GMT
Hi All,

I've tried to search for the topic, but to no avail so far... Sorry if it's been raised before.

Here's the issue: All my "documents" will be having a few (2-3: title, short description)
short fields. You see, it's rare that the same word is repeated several times in a title,
so will Lucene be able to give me a decent ranking, or will it be able to tell me "oh, yes,
this term is in the following 300 titles".

On what I've read on the topic so far, it seems that inverted indexes do work good on big
texts, as they are able to exploit the repetition of words to do ranking.

Will it work for small fields?

Sincere,
Maxym
P.S. If you have links to good reading on inverted indexes, I'll appreciate that too.

Maxym Mykhalchuk
(+39) 320 8593170
PhD student at University of Trento, ITALY