lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <>
Subject Re: Best practice setup in multi server environment?
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:50:57 GMT

: > 1 web server running PHP
: > 1 MySQL server (which will still be used, but not for fulltext
: > queries)
: > 1 server running Lucene
: > The Lucene index will be created out of the MySQL data.
: >
: > My question: How can I send a query from the webserver using PHP to
: > the
: > Lucene server and get my list of result IDs back?
: > I suppose one needs some kind of daemon?

: Have a look at Solr, which sounds like the ideal tool for the job:
: 	<>

I agree, Solr sounds perfect for your needs (and i'm not just saying that
because I'm a Solr committer)

 * you update a Solr index by HTTP POSTing simple xml "documents" - so
   your indexing code can be written in any language you want, and run on
   whatever machinemakes sense for your installation.
 * you query a Solr index by HTTP GETing simple xml resuults - so your
   query code client can be a PHP app, or anything else thta can
   fetch/parse xml documents over HTTP.
 * if your documents have a unique identifier, Solr will make sure that
   any "adds" you send it with a document id it already knows about get
   replaced (no duplicates) so you can just POST data to it anytime you
   modify your MySQL DB - no need to worry baout wether it's an add or an
 * Solr's schema will let you tell it which fields are
   integers, floats, strings, dates, etc... and will make sure range
   queries or sorting on those fields works properly without you having to
   worry about special formatting.  the Schema also lets you say which
   fields you wnat to be searchable, which ones should be stored, which
   analyzer to use for which fields, etc... so you don't have to write any
   javacode to maintain your index -- just configuration.

(okay .. i think that's enough pimping for one email ... head on over to
the "solr-user <a>" mailing list if you have any

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message