lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Help interpreting explanation
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:01:31 GMT

: on using Lucene but info for the internal workings of Lucene is hard to
: come by.

As with many OS code bases: the code is the documentation.

: 1) I'm using the default QueryParser to parse and return a query so it's
: a Boolean-OR query. So does this mean it uses the DisjunctionSumScorer
: or something?

I honestly don't understand all the ways the different Scorers are used
for BooleanQueries.  The thing to keep in mind is that they are all
optimizations that get choosen based on wether some/all clauses are
required, wether any clauses are prohibited, etc...  If you understand
what the basic BooleanScorer does, then you understand what all of the
other Scorers do -- they just go about it in slightly different ways.

: 2) Just wondering looking at the API for BooleanQuery i saw this: "Using
: setMinimumNumberShouldMatch will force the use of BooleanWeight2,
: regardless of wether setUseScorer14(true) has been called."
: What is the method setUseScorer14 about?

Hmmm... i guess it's not really documented is it?  setUseScorer14(true) is
just a way to force the old lucene 1.4.x style Boolean Scoring.  I don't
really know why that code was left in, or why you might want to use it.

-Hoss