lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mufaddal Khumri" <MKhu...@allegromedical.com>
Subject RE: Regarding Indexes
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:32:32 GMT
The solution to your problem lies in answers to many business domain
specific questions like:

1. Will each company only want to carry out searches on their data or on
ALL the data?
2. If you do not know the answer to that, is there a chance that the
some companies would want to search only their data and some others
would want to search data from company a and company b? and yet another
company would want to search all the data?
3. How does having just one index opposed to individual indexes affect
indexing given the load that it will have to handle from one or more
companies? [Note: you could also index data from a group of companies
according to howmuch data on average they might have]
4. It might turn up that at this point you nor the companies might have
no way of knowing howmuch data they will have, in that case you will
have to use your best judgement in what path to take and build your app
in an a way such that it can be abstracted from whether the index is
being indexed in one index or in multiple indexes. Later you can toy
around with different setups as you get more understanding on the usage
of the application.

One way is to index all the data from a particular company with one of
the terms being "companyIdentifier" ... This way you will have the
ability to search within a company d's data or within a few different
company's data or the entire search index.

-Mufaddal.