lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: serializable RAMDirectory
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:21:11 GMT

On Mar 20, 2006, at 1:05 AM, Aditya Liviandi wrote:

> Is there any implementation of lucene that allows the index to be
> portable? It seems pointless that I have to do the indexing
> operation to
> a directory with FSDirectory, and then copy the directory over to the
> portable file, and unpack the file whenever I want to search the
> directory at another place...

Could you be more specific about what you want that Lucene does not
already provide?

FSDirectory is essentially a serialized RAMDirectory.  What do you
mean by "unpack the file"?  There is nothing special needed to move
an index from one machine to another, simply copy the entire
directory and use your searching code to refer to its location.

	Erik