lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene In Action for lucene 2.0
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:15:40 GMT
Otis and I certainly appreciate the interest!  And I have been
spending some time recently contemplating this effort.  A 2nd edition
of a book is perhaps the most painful thing to contemplate, even more
so than a root canal.  With both of us busier than we ever have been,
it is a challenge to carve non-existent time out of a calendar.

However, rest assured that I am committed to making LIA2 happen.
Just this week I have refactored the LIA codebase to compile cleanly
with no deprecation warnings and ensuring that all tests pass once
again (there were a few that were demonstrating edge case issues in
Lucene 1.4.3 that have been resolved in the current codebase).

Lucene 1.9.1 works fine with the LIA1 codebase, so I'm going to leave
that as-is, but when Lucene 2.0 officially comes out I will release
an updated example codebase (for free, as always) that is entirely
geared for 2.0.  Also, I'm in the process of spec'ing out a document
that describes the process of upgrading a project from 1.4.3 to 1.9.1
to 2.0 and showcasing all of the new features.  How this document is
released/published is still undecided, perhaps free to all registered
LIA owners (?).

I would like to optimistically say that LIA2 could be completed this
year, but I'm wary of over-promising knowing the challenges
involved.  I am committed to making it happen as soon as reasonably
possible though.

	Erik