lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene job
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:54:40 GMT
Just let me point out that it's a *wiki*, so the community is free to
take advantage of the malleability of it.  The reason we encourage
the wiki is such that FAQ's, which often is about support, can be
answered but allowing those answers to be driven by the collective
best practices of the community and not as rigid and funneled as the
main Lucene website or, *gasp*, documentation such as books and
articles which begin stagnating before the ink dries.

One of the contributions I'm most personally proud of was the idea to
do a section for the Ant book called "The Elements of Ant Style":

	<http://wiki.apache.org/ant/TheElementsOfAntStyle>

After the book was published I, with permission from the publisher,
converted the list of best practices to the Ant wiki to let it evolve
there given newer and better ways to do things.  Having a communal
whiteboard at our disposal is a mighty powerful way for us to
collaborate beyond the e-mail list.  I do have to admit an aversion
to wiki formatting and the granular and unsemantic way it works, but
for those motivated to build up the wiki you have my full backing,
and I do generally agree its a great resource we should cultivate.

So maybe we need a wiki page for the "Tao of Lucene"?!  ;)

	Erik