lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Levy <mich...@michaelrlevy.com>
Subject Nutch? Solr? Red-piranha?
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:21:25 GMT
I'm looking for advice on selecting a search application.  I'm
responsible for developing a new search platform for use in a historical
research organization and museum.  I've pretty much decided on Lucene as
the library for custom servlet apps that would use the Lucene API directly.

At the same time, we have a number of application ideas that could
probably use a flexible/customizable off-the-shelf crawling
application.  For starters, it would be pretty basic stuff like indexing
PDF files using some library, returning links that have been translated
to point to a Tomcat virtual directory containing the files.  But our
apps could quickly get more complex as we think of new search ideas.

I'm having a hard time comparing and contrasting Nutch, Solr, and
Red-piranha.  I would appreciate anyone offering your ideas or
experiences about which of these (or any other comprehensive search
solutions) are good for which types of applications.  TIA!