lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: who can tell me how lucene search in the index files
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:20:59 GMT
hu andy wrote:
> I see there are seven different files with extentions .fnm .tis and etc. I
> just can't make sure how it looks up in the .tis file. Does lucene use
> Binary-Search to locate the term?

See TermInfosReader.

It loads the .tii file into memory, which contains one in every N
entries of the .tis file and points into the real locations in the .tis
file.

When Lucene looks for a term, it does a binary search through this
reduced index to find which segment of the .tis file the term is in, and
then scans through the .tis file linearly until it finds the term.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd