lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Using NOT queries inside parentheses
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 00:22:16 GMT
Satuluri, Venu_Madhav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following query does not work as expected for me:
> "alwaysTrueField:true (-name:john)"
> neither does this:
> "alwaysTrueField:true +(-name:john)"
>
> It returns zero results, despite there being many documents without name
> john. (alwaysTrueField is, needless to say, true for all documents).

If you want this to work, the most elegant way I've found is to override
the getBooleanQuery(Vector) method in QueryParser and insert a
MatchAllDocsQuery into the boolean query if every clause is prohibited.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Australia Pty Ltd
Suite 79, 89 Jones St, Ultimo NSW 2007, Australia
Phone: (02) 9280 0699
Fax:   (02) 9212 6902