lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: carrot2 vs. vivisimo
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:06:24 GMT

Hello,

> my team has been working for the last couple of days on integrating
> carrot2 into our project as a sort of src (search result clustering)
> solution.

Great to hear this; is there a public URL or something?

> i was rather impressed with the results, until i checked out
> vivisimo's demo and saw a bit of a difference quality wise,

Well, we're not exactly a multi-million company, so quality might not be
identical, you know ;)

> has anyone thoroughly compared the two? algorithm wise and quality

Undoable. Vivivismo is a commercial company, noone knows what they're
using. Quality is hard to define either as clustering is usually
ambiguous. Carrot2 also has a commercial spin off and the commercial
algorithm is faster and gives slightly better results, so you might want
to check out that option -- www.carrotsearch.com

We're also tuning the open source algorithms and installations. Let us
know if you need it (it's a consulting service and we charge for that).

Dawid
www.carrot2.org